Launch Your Career Faster with Advanced Standing
You may be closer than you know to earning your Master of Social Work (MSW). If you have already completed a CSWE-accredited Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree program with a GPA of 3.0 or higher (on a 4.0 scale), and demonstrate a solid grasp of the core principles in social work, you may qualify for the online Advanced Standing MSW program at the Wurzweiler School of Social Work (WSSW).
Make an impact as part of the Wurzweiler community.
Expand your career in social work and make a difference in the world. Earn your master’s degree online with Yeshiva University and the Wurzweiler School of Social Work. The online MSW program combines the best of our on-campus program with unparalleled flexibility.
For further information on the specifics of the program, fieldwork, application requirements and much more, complete the form and download the program guide.
What Does It Mean To Have Advanced Standing?
An Advanced Standing Master of Social Work degree carries the same prestige, and is informed by the same values and sense of purpose, as any other MSW earned at Wurzweiler.
Being granted Advanced Standing simply means that the admissions committee at WSSW has recognized the educational value of your bachelor’s degree, based on the accreditation status of your bachelor’s degree institution and their review of your application materials.
Find more information about the application requirements for the online Advanced Standing MSW program below. You may have seen some references to accelerated MSW programs. Accelerated and Advanced Standing mean the same thing.
Practically speaking, having Advanced Standing means that you have satisfactorily completed the foundational work for your degree and can begin working immediately on your area of specialization. Being accepted into the online Advanced Standing MSW program also means that you can complete the degree faster. If you’re attending full time, you can finish the degree in as little as 18 months, compared to two-and-a-half years.
What Can You Do With an Advanced Standing MSW Degree?
Chances are you already have a pretty good idea of the different careers you can pursue with an MSW degree.
Your advanced education and training can prepare you for supervisory or leadership roles within social work, and you can choose to address the needs of a wide range of specific groups. Find information about working with such groups as the incarcerated, immigrants, those living in rural areas and more on our blog.
You can choose to work in education, advocacy or social policy formulation. Or you may choose to apply your knowledge of human behavior within systems to a career in diverse fields, including business development, legal services, media and communications.
In short, there are many different paths to serve humanity with an online advanced standing MSW from Wurzweiler.
Your MSW will also help you maintain job security, as the high demand for social workers will continue through the decade. An online MSW can help you earn a wage premium of up to 30% over bachelor’s degree earnings. Read more about career outcomes for those with online MSW degrees.1, 2
Why is CWSE Accreditation Important?
How Do You Qualify for the Advanced Standing MSW at Wurzweiler?
Applications for Advanced Standing are reviewed individually by the Admissions Committee, composed of university faculty and social work professionals, and evaluated for superior academic performance, positive referrals and personal commitment to the demands of social work.
As noted below, your application package must include a personal statement and a letter of recommendation. Find helpful advice for writing your personal statement and requesting recommendation letters, along with other topics of interest, in our blog.
If accepted as an Advanced Standing student, you will enter the MSW program in your concentration year and be required to complete 30 credit hours. Advanced Standing students are only required to complete two electives.
If you wish to add the Gerontology and Palliative Care Embedded Certification or the Credentialed Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselor (CASAC) Credentialing, you must take an additional 3-credit elective.
Requirements for Advanced Standing
- Completed application
- Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree from a CSWE accredited program
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
- Final fieldwork evaluation from the BSW program
- One personal statement (500 words): Why do you want to work in the social work profession?
- Applicants may submit an optional second essay providing additional relevant admissions information (explaining gaps in academic/employment history, justifying their GPA, etc.)
- One letter of recommendation from a professional or academic reference
- Official transcript(s) of all previous colleges attended
- Degrees awarded outside of the United States must be evaluated by a Foreign Credential Evaluation Service (additional email provided upon request)
- Applicants who have been awarded a bachelor's and/or graduate degree from an international higher education institution outside of the United States or a non-English speaking Canadian institution will need to submit a NACES transcript evaluation confirming the degree is equivalent to US standards. All transcripts will need to be submitted from each institution unless you accumulated less than 12 credits.
- Final fieldwork evaluation from your BSW program
- $50 non-refundable application fee submitted by credit card
- An interview may be requested
Wurzweiler Supports Your Future Success in Social Work
Our Faculty Advisors and Student Success Coordinators are dedicated to helping you build a path that can lead you to new opportunities and eventual success in your chosen social work discipline.