Preparing You for Success in the Online MSW
Before beginning your application, we recommend reviewing the Master of Social Work (MSW) program requirements outlined below. Ensuring you have all required documents and letters will help expedite the application process. If you have any questions regarding the admissions process or application requirements, please contact an Admissions Advisor.
- Completed application
- A GPA of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale). Applicants with a GPA less than 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) will be reviewed on an individual basis and considered for provisional admission; an interview and additional writing sample may be required.
- One personal statement (500 words):
- Topic: Why do you want to work in the Social Work profession?
- A second, optional personal statement may be included to provide additional relevant admissions information, such as gaps in academic or employment history, GPA, etc
- One letter of recommendation from a professional or academic reference
Official transcript(s) of all previous colleges attended
Unofficial transcripts from academic institutions where nine or more credits were earned can be submitted via the online application to start the review process. If admitted, official transcripts provided directly from academic institutions where nine or more credits were earned must be submitted no later than one month prior to the first day of class via email to email@example.com. We recommend this option as it is the quickest and easiest way. If your academic institutions can only submit the transcript via mail, please have the sealed copies of official transcripts sent to:
Yeshiva University - Graduate Enrollment Management Office
Attn: Martha DeCaille
500 West 185th Street
New York, NY 10033
- $50 non-refundable application fee submitted by credit card
For students applying for Advanced Standing, the following additional requirements must be met:
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) and a bachelor of social work (BSW) degree from a CSWE-accredited program
- Final fieldwork evaluation from the BSW program
Students transferring from an accredited MSW program can receive transfer credit for courses with a B-average or above. Each student transcript is reviewed on an individual basis and credits will be awarded accordingly. In addition to the above application requirements, transfer students must submit their final fieldwork evaluation.
International applicants must meet the following additional requirements:
- All transcripts and letters of recommendation must be translated and evaluated by an accredited provider
- Applicants who have been awarded a bachelor’s and/or graduate degree from an international higher education institution outside of the United States or a non-English speaking Canadian institution will need to submit a course-by-course NACES transcript evaluation including all official transcripts confirming the degree is equivalent to U.S. standards. An applicant’s international credentials will not be reviewed for admission consideration until a transcript evaluation is completed. All transcripts will need to be submitted from each institution where nine or more credits were earned. If admitted, all official course-by-course transcripts, official transcript evaluations and unofficial transcripts are due before the first day of class
- TOEFL: Non-native English speakers at the 11th-grade level or above should take the TOEFL test to provide evidence of their English proficiency before beginning academic work. Students must earn, at minimum, 90-91 on the internet-based test, 233 on the computer-based test, or 577 on the paper test
Go Further with 24/7 Student Support
The online MSW program is meant to be a challenge for those who are called to serve, but your success is still our goal. When the moment arrives to ask for help, you'll find full support from faculty advisors, Student Success Coordinators and more.
Give Shape to Your Purpose
Find Direction for Your Calling
This is your journey toward serving others, and the Wurzweiler School of Social Work is proud to be a critical stop along the way. Your work in our online MSW program will help you to refine your passion, discover your purpose, and ultimately shape your impact.